Ample Labs is a tech non-profit committed to using technology to empower individuals facing homelessness in Toronto and abroad. Our work started with broad research showing that even when experiencing homelessness, most people rely heavily on smartphones to find vital information. Chalmers our flagship product is a web-based chatbot that helps people find local services like free meals, overnight shelter, clothing and more based on your location in real-time. Chalmers has recently been featured on Forbes, Fast Company and Toronto Star. Head over to www.chalmers.app to give Chalmers a try! 🤖
Ample Labs is seeking a full-time Full-Stack Developer who wants to use their powers for good to improve the lives of those facing homelessness. You will be working on making Chalmers better, faster, smarter and deploying it in new cities. We use AWS Lex + AWS Lambda on the backend, Vue.js on the frontend, and is deployed through Firebase. If you’re interested in creating social impact while you write code and think about the future of AI, chatbots and conversational interfaces then this job is for you.
What you’ll be doing
- Plan, design, test, deliver and support new and existing Chalmers features and functionality in the products that adapt to the changing requirements and expectations in the front-end and back-end, and infrastructure.
- Turning product plans into code, involving close collaboration with product managers, UX designers, UX researchers, and other developers.
- Conduct technical planning and architectural decision-making.
- Practice Pair Programming with other contributors.
- Ensure code quality and maintainability by tackling tech debt, conducting code reviews, initiating refactoring and improving build and test systems.
- Contribute to the team's work with high-quality, well-tested and scalable code.
- Document and share knowledge with other developers.
- QA, debug and all that other fun stuff!
What you bring to the table:
- You have 3+ years of software development experience.
- You have experience building chatbots
- You write testable and maintainable code to produce quality systems using engineering best practices.
- You value impact-driven work and you’re passionate about what you do.
- You’re proactive, a problem solver and a collaborative team player that thrives in a fast-paced environment.
Bonus points if you:
- You've worked with Node.js or other server-side programming languages.
- You've worked with SQL databases.
- You've built chatbots and worked with AWS Lambda or Google Cloud Functions.