We’re looking for a contract product designer to join Ample Labs!
Your role as a Product Designer will be to design features for our flagship product, Chalmers. You'll become an early and foundational member of a high-impact user experience team whose shared goal is to build elegant, user-centric product solutions. You’ll passionately act as the voice of the user. You’ll relentlessly pursue ways to make our users’ lives easier. Whether you're designing a new way for people to find services or creating an engaging onboarding flow, you'll work closely with our Product team to find the boundaries of design problems, seeing them from multiple perspectives and advocating for simple and impactful solutions.
This is a contract position for around 10 hours per month to start and will go up to 40 hours per month depending on the project.
Who we are
Ample Labs is a tech non-profit committed to using technology to empower individuals facing homelessness in Toronto and abroad. Our work started with broad research showing that even when experiencing homelessness, most people rely heavily on smartphones to find vital information. Our first product, Chalmers, is a web-based chatbot that helps you find local social services like free meals, overnight shelter, clothing and more based on your specific real-time location and needs. Chalmers has recently been featured on Forbes, Fast Company and Toronto Star.
Head over to https://chalmers.amplelabs.co to give Chalmers a try!
What you’ll be doing
- Design and prototype new features and experiences on Chalmers.
- Own all stages of the design process from concept through launch.
- Solve product problems with a focus on the best user experience while balancing company goals, design cohesion, and ease of implementation.
- Seek out, understand and incorporate qualitative and quantitative feedback throughout the design process and work with UX Researchers on this.
- Work autonomously in a cross-functional, agile product group with Product Managers, Engineers, and Data Analysts to prioritize and build new features.
- Regularly give and receive feedback with other Designers to ensure quality, consistency, and collaboration.
What you should have
- Strong portfolio showcasing your past work and process.
- You have at least 3+ years of experience designing modern consumer-focused products.
- Experience shipping mobile product in an agile environment on web-platforms
- Demonstrated experience in both visual and interactive design.
- Passion for being involved in the big picture, while fearlessly diving into the details.
- No ego when it comes to product or design.
- Comfort with a fast-paced, agile development process.
- The ability to flourish with minimal guidance, be proactive, and handle ambiguity.
- Have a great sense for aesthetics that could both work with or extend Chalmers’s style
- Experience working at scale with Design Systems.
Who we’re looking for
- You value impact-driven work
- You’re passionate about what you do
- You’re socially minded & genuinely care about the work we do
- You’re proactive, a problem solver and go-getter
- You’re collaborative and are a team player
- You’re curious and self-motivated
- You knows how to take and give direction
- You can adapt to change quickly