Ample Labs is a non-profit committed to using technology to empower individuals facing homelessness in Toronto, Canada. Our work started with broad research showing that even when experiencing homelessness, most people rely heavily on smartphones to find vital information.
Since then, our team has grown to include a dedicated and diverse group of designers, developers, researchers, consultants, public servants, and community members—all united by a common commitment to using tech for social good. Our first digital product, Chalmers, is a web-based chatbot that helps you find local services like free meals offered at shelters or drop-in programs based on your specific real-time location and needs.
Head over to www.chalmers.app to give Chalmers a try!
We are looking for a full-time Full-Stack Developer to join our team to help continue to make Chalmers the world’s smartest, most empathetic chatbot. If you’re interested in creating social impact while you write code and think about the future of AI, chatbots and social services then this job is for you.
- Plan, design, test, deliver and support new and existing Chalmers features and functionality in the products that adapt to the changing requirements and expectations in the front-end and back-end, and infrastructure.
- Turning product plans into code, involving close collaboration with product managers, UX designers, UX researchers and other developers.
- Conduct technical planning and architectural decision-making.
- Ensure code quality and maintainability by tackling tech debt, conducting code reviews and improving build and test systems.
- Contribute to the team's work with high-quality, well-tested and scalable code.
- Documenting and sharing knowledge to other team members.
- QA, debug and all that other fun stuff!
- 4+ years of experience developing API driven back-ends that run on popular cloud infrastructure providers like AWS using technologies like Node and PostgreSQL.
- Strong database fundamentals. The ability to design database schemas with a first principle understanding of how trade offs between time, space and scalability impact the performance of applications that consume our data.
- Experience writing ETLs and creating data pipelines to synthesis data from multiple external providers into a state that can be consumed by our applications.
- Exceptional communication skills, you are a low-ego contributor who is able to clearly communicate the trade offs between various problem solving approaches to teammates both within and outside the engineering team.
- A user centric focus and is highly mission driven. You are passionate about building software that serves the needs of society’s most vulnerable and are committed to helping solve problems that better the lives of the people we serve.
Who we’re looking for
- You want to make a difference with what you do
- You’re passionate about what you do
- You’re socially minded & genuinely care about the work we do
- You’re proactive, a problem solver and go-getter
- You’re collaborative and are a team player
- You’re curious and self-motivated
- You knows how to take and give direction
- You can adapt to change quickly
- You value impact-driven work